You are opening the Followin´ client to work but you don't see your dossier.
Followin´ is a multi-user application, which allows clients to connect to (A) a central service. This central service connects to (B) a database to store and retrieve the data.
This article will provide some steps to verify if both the central service (A) & the database (B) are correctly configured or available.
A: Connecting to the central service
The central service handles and processes all requests from the clients. This service also communicates with the database.
- Open the Followin´ client.
- Navigate to Options and select Connections.
- Click on the OPEN DOSSIER-button.
- Click on the Search server-button.
This will try to find the different Followin´ services.
In case you don't see your server, make sure that on the location that the Followin' service is installed, that you it is running.
Verify that the service is running:
- Open services.msc by pressing ÿ + R and typing in
services.mscand click OK.
- Search Winking Followin' service and make sure it is running.
If it is not running, right mouse click and select Start.
Now try to open the dossier again in Followin´, by following the steps earlier described. You should be able to select your service.
If this is not the case, try entering the Server name/IP Address and port manually.
Server: WINSRV2019QLA5 Port: 8001
In case this doesn't show you the service, try to verify the Windows Firewall is accepting communication with the service on the given port, e.g. 8001.
B: Connecting to the database
The database is needed to store the dossier information. The Followin´ central service communicates with the database directly to store and retrieve information. This database can be installed on a remote server, different than the server where the central service is running.
Verify that the database is running:
- Log in to the server where the database (MS SQL Server) is running and open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). Or connect with SSMS to a remote SQL Server.
- Verify that the database engine is running.
- In SSMS, If you right mouse click on the instance name, the Start option should be disabled because the db engine is running.
- Verify that the database is online.
- In SSMS, right mouse click on the database, choose Tasks, Bring Online should be disabled because the database is online.
- Verify that there is a user created and mapped with SQL Server authentication, not Windows Authentication.
- Verify that the server authentication for the database engine is set to Mixed mode. To allow SQL Server and Windows authentication.
- In SSMS, right mouse click on the database engine.
- Select Properties.
- In the Server Properties, select the Security-section.
- Verify that the SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode is selected under the Server authentication.
- Verify the Windows Firewall is accepting communication with SQL Server.
Now try to open the dossier again in Followin´, by following the steps earlier described. You should be able select the MS SQL database containing the Followin´ dossier.